If you are a current supervisor of a trainee and/or student the following guidance outlines your responsibilities for recording evidence of CPD and on-going practice in relation to your role.
Producing evidence of initial training and CPD is a GMC requirement and there are two specific requirements, which you have to comply with, in order to retain your status, as follows:
- Discuss and record your activity and development needs in relation to your supervisory role;
- Provide evidence of CPD and any other educational activity relevant to the role – this evidence should be uploaded onto the recognition and approval of evidence template (Clinical and Educational Supervisors Training Record), which you will find in your Appraisal folder on the G:drive.
The GMC standards for post-undergraduate training will apply with the seven domains set out by the Academy of Medical Educators (AoME), as follows:-
- Ensuring safe and effective patient care
- Establishing and maintaining an environment for learning
- Teaching and facilitating learning
- Enhancing learning through assessment
- Supporting and monitoring educational progress framework for the Professional Development of Postgraduate Medical
- Guiding personal and professional development supervisors
- Continuing professional development as an educator
What do I need to become a supervisor?
- To become fully recognised by 2016 and to retain recognition thereafter trainers will need an annual appraisal which includes 1 piece of evidence of educational CPD (domain 7), with three different types of evidence in any five year revalidation period.
- New trainers will need to do the following in order to be fully recognised:-
- attend an externally accredited course and
- provide 1 piece of evidence from domains 1-4 for clinical supervisors, and 1-6 for Educational Supervisors